July 1, 2007

Bouffant of the Month: The Egyptian

Modern Beauty Shop from June, 1962 brings us the must have look for summer, "The Egyptian", by operator Andre Denker of Salon Andre. Andre says, "While the Cleopatra silhouette has been much in the news because of the forthcoming film of that title, I feel that a literal interpretation of this version of the Egyptian mode is limited in its application to the average beauty salon patron, due principally to its emphasis on extremely heavy, straight hair which is not widely becoming. Consequently, I am suggesting to my patrons a variety of 'Egyptian influence coiffures' which reflect the Cleopatra fashion but do not copy it."


Still on the fence my little Scarab Beetle? Allow Andre to persuade you further.


"The crown lift variously identified as a 'Queen of the Nile' or a 'Queen Nefertiti' style is becoming to many women and is an arrangement particularly suitable for both the more mature and the more sophisticated type."

See? It's classy.

3 comments:

Nick said...

I always wondered where my grandma and great-grandma got their hair styles. Now I know...and knowing is half the battle.

jungle dream pagoda said...

You know this is utter fun to look at,but WHY did these women try to instantly age themselves 10 years!

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered your blog and love it! Just wanted to say hi.