March 14, 2009

Does This Calico Dress Make My Butt Look Big?

A few days ago, while browsing at an antique mall, I found this old photograph.


When I turned it over and saw what was written on the back, I just had to bring it home.


"This is our home with Pa and me in the yard I look fleshey there but I had my every day clothes on and they make me look larger." It's signed "Ona" or "Onay". I can't quite tell. Even a hundred years ago, women were worried about looking a little too "fleshey" in photographs. Ona, I feel your pain, although I don't think my "every day" jeans and T shirt are to blame.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Ah! I love this! I love the old postcard photos. I have one I got a while back where the writer wishes he could be home for Christmas and go on a sleigh ride. It just makes those people from long ago seem so much more real and close.

And I hear ya, Ona. I hear ya. Although i think a good supportive bra works wonders ;)

Prairie Gothic said...

I've been looking a little fleshey myself lately. Miss you guys. :-)

Anonymous said...

that is great! Very classic. I think it was so neat that they had photographs that were sent as postcards.

Taryn Zerner said...

This is great! I love it. AND YOUR BLOG, Darlin'!
So glad I found you and I really admire what you do! I thought we had a bit in common too (even follow some of the same blogs!), so I've just added you to my favorites list!
I will certainly be back! Again...and again...and again!
Thanks for sharing this great postcard!

Love,
Taryn

Taryn Zerner said...

It's moi again! Just wanted to let you know, that I have left you a surprise over at my blog on today's post (03-27).
I do hope you come and check it out, for I really think you deserve it!

Love,
Taryn

Beth said...

It was great meeting you at Heather's today! Your cross stitch was so cute.

Stela said...

hahah! I love it! now the word "fleshey" kinda grosses me out, hehe!