December 16, 2008

Santa's Got The Stink Eye

The Kitschmas decorating has begun in Sweetheartville, but not without some surprises. My creepy stuffed Santa emerged from a box in the attic with some sort of cocoon/egg sack resting in his eye crevice, which, of course I had to share with you.


And I'm also going to share seven facts about myself with you since the lovely Tara at Nothing Elegant tagged me. I'm only a month or so late!

1.I have become horribly, terribly addicted to coffee over the last six months or so. I wake up thinking about it, drink it alone, and have progressed to stronger and stronger brews, trying to get my high. I have stolen things, pawned them, and then walked, shaky-handed and glassy-eyed, into Starbucks for a fix. Okay, so that last bit was a lie. I haven't actually stolen anything...yet.


2. I own more lamps than I have electrical outlets.

3. I used to wish I was Catholic because of all the cool accessories (rosary beads, red glass candle holders, shrines, St. Whoever medals) and pomp and circumstance. Now I know I totally dodged a bullet with that one.


4. I own approximately 47 tubes of lipstick.


5. We live two blocks from some very busy train tracks, and, though some folks think I'm crazy, I love the sound of the whistle and the low rumble of the wheels. I especially love how the train rattles the 100 year old window panes in our studio/office.

6. My mother's, sister's, and my middle name all rhyme by pure coincidence--my sister and I were named after our grandmothers. I carried on the tradition by giving Sugar Pea my mother's middle name.


7. I am convinced that my ridiculously crooked smile is partly to blame on hours and hours of Elvis impersonations I used to do for my lucky family circa 1993. It seems my lip muscles may never have recovered.

12 comments:

Hawaiian Radiation said...

what ridiculously crooked smile, honey? If anyone's got one of those, it's me.

Brigid said...

I started making rosaries, so if you wanna be a fake Catholic like me, I can help you out.

My mom loves the sound of the train, too. I don't mind it, but I do object to it blocking inside or outside my apartment complex on a regular basis.

I have a crooked smile, too. Must be because Elvis is my ninth cousin, twice removed. No joke!

Prairie Gothic said...

I'm jealous of your train, we have tracks but no trains. Your smile is adorable.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness I was obsessed with wanting to be Catholic when I was younger. I loved all of the ritual and the accessories and the massive churches. I even found myself a rosary at a thrift store and made myself say "Hail Mary's". Like you though, I'm so glad I didn't make the leap. I guess we've both always just been drawn to shiny things! HEHE

Gunnar and Sherry said...

I just bumped into your blog and I think it's really cool. Great stuff! I like eccentric stuff too and I hope you'll check out my blog:
http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/
Cheers!
Gunnar

Heather said...

I'm with you on the trains. My grandma's house is a block from the tracks, and I've spent a good chunk of my childhood falling asleep to the trains passing by.

jungle dream pagoda said...

I also have a lamp addiction,yes...hello my name is JDP and I am a lampoholic.
Love stinkeye Santa ,I laughed outloud at that one!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Oh and the Catholic thing,this (former) baptist has often haunted Catholiic art and bookstores,and once even planned an eyemake-up line based on the color combos of the fabulous Saint art. Alas it was only in my head ,I probably could have really scored with that one!

Briana Shepley said...

Hi Deluxe neighbor!!! :) When I was a child, I met an old collector who would record train whistles when he was young. In his later life, he reproduced them and sold the recordings. Hearing him talk about those whistles with such passion has allowed me to never think of them the same way again! I love train whistles :)

{Tara} said...

LOL!!! I love your answers! I can particularly relate to the coffee one -- like they say, it's a slippery slope!

Heather said...

I went through that coffee phase last december...it was during the ice storm when my mom brought her coffee maker over to my house when she lost power...From there I moved on to the stronger (momre chocolate) stuff-- Abuelita's Mexican Chocolate Drink...now just straight hot chocolate. ;)

VintagePurseGal said...

Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas, Holly! After a year hiatus, I've decided to start posting again on my vintage purse blog. I will never forget you and your generosity and I wish you and your family a happy healthy New Year!