April 12, 2007

The World's Largest Flower Box of Junk


Boy, oh boy. The weekend I look forward to all year has finally arrived! It's time for the 19th Annual City Wide Garage Sale in Neosho, Missouri. This is the largest garage sale in the Show Me State, and every year my Mama (my favorite junking buddy) and I go to stay with my Aunt Dee to get up at the butt crack of dawn and shop till we drop. With hundreds of garage sales all over the town, the population doubles for the day. You can drive to a neighborhood, park the car, and walk to a dozen or so sales before moving on to the next street. It is impossible to visit every one. We get pretty serious the night before and have a strategic planning session with a newspaper, a highlighter, and a map of the city, where we stop just short of smudging black grease paint under our eyes. This year will be the first that Mom and I, along with Sugar Pea, will be able to make it a two day junkstravaganza, shopping the early bird sales on Friday. I'll have lots of thrifty finds to share when we return from The Flower Box City, so get ready, Dollfaces.

No comments: